When fleas become a problem for your pet, chances are you are spurred to action. There are many methods of treatment and steps you can take to reduce and eliminate the presence of these pests.
One of the most popular treatment methods is the use of methoprene. This is a medication that can be used on cats and dogs, usually on a monthly or semi-monthly basis to hinder the reproductive capabilities of the fleas. However, it is not a “cure all” which means other treatment methods must also be used to completely eradicate your flea problem.
Methoprene is a type of medication that is useful for many different types of pests, including fleas. These can be one of the most frustrating and annoying pests to battle when it comes to your pet. This medication helps to completely halt the reproduction process, which means that fleas will never be able to reach adulthood, creating more little fleas.
There is no question that when it comes to fleas, prevention is going to be the most effective treatment option. One treatment on your pet can last from 30 to 60 days, depending on the dosage that is provided. Keep in mind, these numbers are based on pets that spend most of their time indoors. For outdoor pets, the treatment may need to be more often in order to effectively control the infestation.
Flea Sprays Containing Methoprene
- CONTAINS INSECT GROWTH REGULATOR (IGR)-Kills ticks, fleas, flea eggs, larvae and prevents pupae development. Active Ingredients - Fipronil & Methoprene
- READY-TO-USE TRIGGER SPRAY-Convenient application in a ready-to-use spray bottle provides instant disbursement of product, when used as directed.
- INSECT KILLER-Starts to kill existing fleas and ticks on dogs in 5 minutes.
- FOR USE ON MOST PETS-Spray can be used on dogs, cats, puppies and kittens over 8 weeks old, when used as directed.
- LONG-LASTING, FAST-ACTING & WATERPROOF-Controls fleas and ticks for up to 30 days. Will not wash off while swimming or bathing.
Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Tips On Using Methoprene for Fleas
Some tips regarding methoprene and fleas include:
- When you purchase treatment for your animals that contain methoprene to rid your home and pet of fleas, you should follow the directions provided by your vet;
- If you select a product that is considered a poison or other type of treatment containing methoprene, you should never apply this directly to your pet, as it could have severe consequences;
- The use of methoprene is not intended or able to kill adult fleas, but will only help to halt the reproduction. In order to fully control the flea population in your home or yard, you should also use an insecticide with IGR.
The fact is that you can control fleas. Using a product with methoprene is a great way to do this. Always be sure to follow the provided instructions in order to have the best results possible. Fleas can multiply quickly, which is why it is crucial you have a plan in place to prevent them from occurring in the first place.
can I buy this ingredient for less? where? thanks sal
Hey Stephen, take a look at the products I linked to in the article. There are some products out there with a lot more reviews, but I’m not convinced they’re all that genuine. Thanks for stopping by!